Saturday, November 18, 2006

Metlog...

This post should have been done Thursday, however I fell asleep at around 9:00 pm and didn't wake up until 3 in the morning so I didn't have the time to make it...

We were discussing Hans Gadamer's Man and Language in Philo 102 class and suddenly Sir Strebel mentioned a term while talking about the evolution of language. He said he was channel surfing when he came upon the term METLOG. It was able to pique my interest so using the powers of the internet I searched for the two words that make up METLOG (metrosexual and jologs) and got these:

Metrosexual:
Metrosexuality is the trait of an urban male who has a strong aesthetic sense and spends a great amount of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.

Jologs:
1. any person deemed to be acting, exhibiting behaviors, in a manner similar to the commonly observed behavior of slums teenagers
2. gaudy, un-elegant, without refinement in taste

Strong aesthetic sense doesn't really describe me though I do spend a great amount of time (not necessarily great amount of money though) on trying to improve my appearance and lifestyle. On the other hand the 1st definition for jologs is a bit too discriminatory for my tastes so I guess I'll go with the second one.

So there just enriching my philosophical knowledge :P

As a side note, I really had a hard time pinpointing what jologs really means, many definitions for such a commonly used word that it's really hard to tell what a person really means when he/she mentions the term. However I found one that seems to be one of the more believable terms:

"isn't jologs an amalgamation of "dyaryo-yosi-tulog"? used to describe tambays of the 60s and 70s"

I guess if we take it from that, a description of tambays or their culture, then we could see how it could snowball into the connotations that come with the term now.

No comments: